Is Your Workout Routine Working Against You? Healthy Shopping Experts Give Tips to Choose Good Gear
Healthy living advocates, green shopping experts and Founders of the Healthy Shopping site, Veritey (www.veritey.com), Amy Ziff and Adrienne Peres, explain that “Even when we’re working out, the products we use have a tremendous impact on our health.” Chemicals compounds called obesogens, are found in everyday products, and have the ability to disrupt lipid metabolism, energy and appetite regulation and in some cases can even lead to weight gain!
Check out some of Amy Ziff’s Easy Tips to Choose Workout Gear That Doesn’t Work Against You:
· Energy Bars Shouldn’t Add Additives: Choose energy bars that don’t sacrifice nutrition for on-the-go convenience. Many energy bars are still packed with processed ingredients and loaded with sugars. Energy bars loaded with sugar, actually tax your body and use up energy. Look for at least 8 grams of protein, high fiber and raw, plant-derived ingredients for alkaline forming energy.
· Water Bottle Pollution: Don’t let your bottle contaminate your water. Say goodbye to BPA, plastics, PVC, phthalates and lead and choose a water bottle that keeps you hydrated with safe, reusable material.
· Know Your Deodorant: It seems impossible to find the perfect deodorant that works hard without including aluminum, but it’s definitely worth reapplying over adding chemicals under scrutiny directly onto your sweat glands. Sweaty and stinky are not words we like, but choose deodorants wisely. Look for Mineral Zinc as an active ingredient to absorb odor. Other key words? Castor beans and hops help absorb odor-causing bacteria.
· SunBlock: Going for a jog? Remember, what we put on our bodies, goes into our bodies so choose sun protection wisely. There’s no need to use sunscreen that contains chemicals and nano particles. Choose lightweight moisturizers that are non-comedogenic and include organic ingredients like aloe, beeswax and cocoa butter to sooth and the active Zinc Oxide for protection. You can offer your skin full solar protection, UVA AND UVB, without titanium dioxide and oxybenzone. It’s true that nature and science can be gentle and effective.
VINEGAR: Breakthrough for Common Health Issue
It’s an old and true fact that vinegar does much more than add flavor to your salad, is a multi-tasking miracle solvent that’s been used to remedy problems from house-hold disasters to skin ailments for hundreds of years. One common health issue that’s been studied by the most prominent medical schools and researched by world-renowned physicians has been deemed one of the most difficult problems to get rid of, until now.
Family physician Dr. Paul Kinsinger put his findings to the test and affirmed that vinegar holds natural healing properties that combat a fungus (Onychomycosis), better known as toenail fungus, which penetrates the nail and nail bed resulting in pesky yellow, thick and unsightly toenails. Dr. Paul’s magic concoction, which is mostly comprised of vinegar not only eliminates the need to soak but has proven the easiest and most effective solution to this problem.
*40 million Americans have it, from ballerinas to marathon runners, toddlers to seniors. It has nothing to do with hygiene either.
USANA Super Immune Booster Pack Review
USANA Super Immune Booster Pack is good for you and your entire family. Booster C 600™ (28-pk) Kick your immune defenses up a notch whenever you need to with USANA’s Booster C 600. This product contains: zinc, echinacea, elderberry, and a unique vitamin C blend that includes Poly C. This pk contains lemon-berry powder that can be taken straight or mixed with water for a tasty immune boosting treat on-the-go. This product delivers a one-two punch to bolster your immune system! Link into their world here at http://www.usana.com/webhosting/justina?page=page3
Island Abbey Foods Ltd., a PEI based natural health product and specialty food producer, has announced that their Honibe® Honey Drop® is going up to the International Space Station (ISS) as part of the official Canadian Space Agency (CSA) Snacks For Space competition which identifies Canadian snack solutions for use in space! The Honey Drop®, only one of a select few chosen from over 150 submissions, will be going into space as a novel food innovation and will provide the International Space Station crew with an alternative to the liquid honey currently used during their missions.
The Honibe® Honey Drop® was rated on a scale from 1-10 by the CSA. The CSA has given the Honibe® Honey Drop® a 7.2/9.0 score for organoleptic properties and an 8.0/9.0 score for suitability for space. The Honey Drop®’s high scores and winning selection for this mission highlights the portability, convenience, and great taste of Honibe®’s product lines. “Honibe® – Honey To Go™” is not just a slogan. The Honibe® Honey Drop® can go anywhere…even to space!
The Honibe® Honey Drop® is an individual serving (one teaspoon/5g) of 100% pure dried honey without any additives. It is ideal for sweetening tea or coffee or can be consumed as a natural energy source. The Honibe® Honey Drop® is noted as a healthier alternative to the sugar cube and is available in 20 or 12 count packages and in both pure honey and honey with lemon flavors. They are conveniently sized for easy transport in pockets, back packs, cars, briefcases, purses, and now – for space travel!
“After winning the top food prize on the planet in 2010, we are extremely excited about the Honibe® Honey Drop® tackling this next frontier… in space!” stated John Rowe, President of Island Abbey Foods Ltd. “We will be sending our Honibe® Honey Drop® up to the ISS this fall. Our Honey Drop® is a perfect alternative to liquid honey and the team will be able to enjoy this sweet and nutritious food without all the sticky mess. We believe the ISS team will think our Honey Drops® are truly out of this world!”
The Honibe® Honey Drop® has received major national and international recognition having been awarded the most prestigious food award in the world at SIAL Paris 2010, the Global SIAL d’Or (Gold Medal), which recognized the Honibe® Honey Drop® as “The Best New Food Product in the World”. Using the same proprietary technology as the award winning Honey Drop®, the Honibe® product line has since expanded to include Honey Delights® candies, Honey Sprinkles™ for cooking and baking, and Honey Lozenges™ for coughs and colds. Honibe® was subsequently honoured with the “Canada Brand Business Award” at SIAL (Toronto) in 2011. Honibe® was also recently featured on one of Canada’s most popular television shows, CBC’s Dragons’ Den, where entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to savvy business investors. The Dragons smelled money in the honey pot as Honibe® was offered one of the largest deals in the shows history!
Read the Canadian Space Agency’s official announcement here: Winning Canadian Foods to Fly in Space.
About Island Abbey Foods Ltd.
Island Abbey Foods Ltd. is a natural health product and specialty food producer based in Prince Edward Island (PEI), Canada. We are a 6th generation PEI agricultural family business with our feet firmly planted in our Island’s bright red soil (ideal for farming with its high iron and nutrient content). Honibe® (hon-ee-bee) brand honey is our line of all natural, specialty honey products from PEI. Under our Honibe® brand we offer innovative products like the Honey Drop®, the world’s first 100% pure, no mess, non-sticky honey, and a better tasting sugar cube. We also have Honey Delights® honey candies, Honey Sprinkles™ granulated honey and Honey Lozenges™ with added menthol and eucalyptus for sore throat and nasal congestion relief. For more information please visit us on the web at www.honibe.com or www.islandabbeyfoods.com.
Your Body Deserves Good Tea That Can Clean Up Your Health
You may be almost done with the typical spring cleaning chores such as organizing your closets, but what about focusing on detoxing to spring clean your health? It’s not about expensive cleanses that may be harmful to your bodies with short-lived results. By making healthy changes to your diet, you can naturally detox, leading to a healthier spring and summer.
CalorieCount.com’s Director of Nutrition Rachel Berman has put together a list of tips that can help your readers over the next few months to make healthy lifestyle changes. If you use the following information for any upcoming stories, please credit Rachel Berman and Calorie Count. Here are a few of her tips:
Foods to add to your diet:
- Leafy greens such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and kale contain cancer fighting compounds called glucosinolates. They are also a great source of calcium which is important for muscle contraction and therefore, can improve the “spring in your step.” Frozen veggies often can be even more nutritious than fresh since they are frozen at the peak of ripeness.
- Citrus fruits are loaded with soluble fiber. This type of fiber increases the amount of healthy bacteria in your colon to help flush out toxins from your system. They are also loaded with immune boosting nutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin C, which can improve the health of your skin. Choose the whole fruits, not juices, to get the maximum fiber benefit and improve satiation.
- Garlic not only tastes and smells good, but it also has powerful antibiotic, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. It can protect our bodies against cell damage that comes from air pollution, cigarette smoke, radiation, and UV light that contributes to aging, cancer, and heart disease.
- Green tea has high amounts of antioxidants called catechins that have been researched for their disease fighting capabilities including protecting the health of our liver. One of the liver’s main functions is to process and remove toxins from our body so its health is important for any detox process.
- Make time for a lighter breakfast including fresh fruits and low-fat yogurts.
- When dining out, start your meal with a salad or light veggie soup/gazpacho to help fill you up on fewer calories.
- Drink plenty of non-caloric fluids, such as water, throughout the day to stay hydrated and energized.
No need to do away with the “bad” foods you love. You can still enjoy a small soft-serve ice cream cone as a snack, splitting a small bag of popcorn or potato chips with a friend (or saving the section portion for another day), or eating a small portion of candy or a muffin.
The Green PolkaDot Box Talks Organic Food with Academy Award Nominees
Rod A. Smith and his family, founders of The Green PolkaDot Box™ (GPDB), today announced, that they officially announced their clean and organic foods online membership savings club at a charity event honoring the 2012 Academy Awards Nominees today in Hollywood, CA. The newly-launched company shared their message that healthy eating is affordable for everyone, from Hollywood Stars to American families, through Green PolkaDot Box’s ability to offer the lowest pricing on organic, Non-GMO, and all-natural foods and products at an up to 60% savings from its clean and organic foods 0nline membership savings club.
“I am very pleased with the reception we are receiving from all the celebrities in attendance at the GBK charity event honoring Academy Award Nominees,” said Rod A. Smith. “Celebrities, and American families alike, are tired of paying Whole Foods prices and are pleased to learn about our clean and organic food online membership savings club. All want to join The Green PolkaDot Box.”
The Green PolkaDot Box™ is a clean and organic foods 0nline membership savings club which offers healthy food products for less and delivers directly to consumers’ doorsteps nationwide. The Green PolkaDot Box (GPDB) was founded by Rod A. Smith and his family as a result of their efforts to eat healthier after being faced with a diet-related health issue. GPDB offers healthy “clean food” products defined by Smith as certified organic foods that are 3rd party-verified to be free of Genetically Modified Organisms.
The GPDB annual membership programs include “club” and “reward” memberships, the latter enabling members to accumulate reward points which further lower their monthly grocery expenses.
Learn how the GPDB referral rewards program helps consumers earn their healthy food purchases. www.greenpolkadotbox.com/rod. All memberships feature a FREE delivery option.
GPDB members will also enjoy access to fresh harvested, organic produce delivered directly from organic farms through the upcoming GPDB Harvest to Home program, Spring 2012. Affordable organic and all-natural products are now available to every household in America! www.greenpolkadotbox.com.