Get Fit Now, Health Tips from an Olympian. If you can incorporate sprinting into your weekly workouts, then you will burn fat faster while gaining strength. By increasing your metabolic rate, you’re sculpting your legs, glutes and abdominal muscles.
But how do you start? American track and field Olympic champion and current World Champion, Christian Taylor offers the following tips to get you sprinting like an Olympian (or at least feel like one).
· Warm up! Before you start to sprint, you’ll want to jog at steady pace for at least 5 mins.
· You MUST then stretch your quads and hamstrings to prevent injury. I recommend 5 – 10 mins.
· Start sprinting at 50% speed until you feel comfortable and then gradually increase your speed after every sprint, if you are using a trend mill. Increase the treadmill speed from 6.5 to 8.5mph and the incline to 10% – 12% while standing on the sides of the treadmill, sprint for 20 – 30 seconds. At the end of the 20 or 30 seconds, jump back on the side of the belt and rest for 10 seconds, then repeat and keep doing this for a total of 30 to 40 minutes.
· Make sure to slip on a Philip Stein’s new Horizon Sport bracelet for a boost of energy.
· Cool down for 5 mins and stretch for 10 – 15 minutes.